Birmingham Mothers’ Rights Attorney

Serving Clients in Birmingham, Shelby County, and throughout Alabama

For the better part of a century, courts in Alabama and most other states determined child custody based on the so-called “tender years doctrine,” which presumed that young children were better off in the care of their mothers. Today, courts are directed to view the roles of mothers and fathers on equal ground and to act in the best interests of children.

The Birmingham mother’s rights attorneys at Jonathan W. Gathings & Associates are dedicated advocates for the interests of children in divorce, and we can help you and your children protect your rights throughout the divorce process. If you’re preparing for divorce in which children are present, please call us at 205-545-7475 to arrange your personal consultation with one of our knowledgeable Alabama mother’s rights lawyers.

When it serves the best interests of the children, a form of joint custody in which both parents have ongoing contact with the children and contribute financially to the children’s needs is favored. This typically entails one parent being awarded primary custody with the other parent being awarded visitation rights on an established schedule.

Often, a mother may seek and be awarded primary custody of children based on her role as the main caretaker during the marriage. Our divorce attorneys can help you understand and protect your rights regarding:

Issues related to child custody can become especially emotional amid the divorce process. If you’re a mother who is pursuing primary child custody, it’s important to have an experienced lawyer on your side to help you understand your options and fight for the best interests of your children.

If you’re a mother who is facing divorce and you want to learn more about ensuring that your child custody rights are protected, please contact Jonathan W. Gathings & Associates today. Our Birmingham mother’s rights attorneys welcome clients from Birmingham, Alabama, and the greater Jefferson County and Shelby County areas.